Thursday 4 April 2013

Back from the dead! Well sort of

Oh how time flies, it's been soooo long since I've posted anything and I've been getting itchy programming fingers (and blogging finges for that matter). And so much has changed there is a new version of Windows, a new version of visual studio and even a new version of DirectX (well not quite but the SDK is now built into the Windows 8 SDK and there are some changes).
Unfortunately life can just take priority over any programming sometimes and I haven't been able to spend as much time here or programming as I would have liked.

But the long break away has given me a new appreciation for wanting to get back into game programming again and what better time to once again wipe the slate clean and start my project from scratch. Well not completely from scratch a lot of the work I had complete will still be able to be used in some way shape or form but I will be harsh and only include good coding and rewrite anything that is messy or ugly or anything that i've always wanted to fix.

This time my priority is in improving design from the base level and increasing the priotirty of planning and initial setup. You know that whole "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" stuff. Improve my design to be as API independant as possible and improve my ability to update individual components easier going forward so I spend less time doing complete from scratch changes when an API change happens.

It's not an easy task but I think I've worked out that I get the most enjoyment out of finding clever solutions to these problems and writing a useable engine that others can enjoy rather than neccesarily writing a game for others to play.

Keep tuned for hoepfully some more regular blogging of where I'm up to on this new game engine journey

No comments: